Tuesday, July 29, 2008

TMI Tuesday ~ Language Edition

This is a tribute to the late great George Carlin.

1. What is your language pet peeve. (example 'hot water heater', why would you heat hot water) Misspelled words - It drives me up the wall!

2. What is your favorite word? Both dirty and clean? Onomatopoeia - I just*love* how that word sounds. I don't think I really have a favorite 'dirty' word but I say 'fuck' a lot. So, I guess that would probably be it. lol

3. What is the one word you cannot spell? Typically, none... I'm a teacher. ;) It's my job to know how to spell.

4. What is the one word you always pronounce wrong? Again, the teacher thing - It's my job to know BUT I *always* get hung up on 'communicative' and 'multiplicative' when I'm teaching.

5. If you could erase one popular catchphrase from the english language, what would it be? Probably *ANYTHING* my students say! lol With middle schoolers, you never know what will come out of their mouth next. :) Seriously, though... I can't think of anything right now.

Bonus (as in optional): The late, and very hot Michael Hutchence (INXS) once sang, "Words are weapons, sharper than knives" . What is the most hurtful thing you have ever said to anyone? Was it deliberate or accidental? What was the most hurtful thing ever said to you? Do you think it was deliberate or accidental? I KNOW there was plenty dished out during my divorce both deliberate and accidental but the worst thing I ever said during was when I made a comment about him not doing it for me in bed. OUCH! Said to me, there are two that stick out 1) the ex said that he never was 'in love with me' and he made sure to tell me that if he met someone who wanted kids, that he'd have more or would adopt a child with the new person KNOWING full well, that after having Littlest Prince, I wanted to adopt a little girl from another country because I couldn't have any more because of the risk of premature birth, baby or me or both dying if I tried.

Wow, that bonus was a serious question! Glad it's over. Well, now you know what time it is! It's your turn to kiss and tell. Make sure you let me know you stopped by and leave a comment while you're at it and go over a visit all the others that kiss and tell!

7 comments:

Pepper said...

I can only imagine the irritating things that come out of the mouths of middle schoolers these days!

Dana said...

Being the proud "owner" of a middle-schooler myself, there are plenty of catchphrases I'd like to eliminate - like talking in text!

Aunty Belle said...

Hey, American Honey,
thanky fer yore visit--I'se pleased to meet ya!

On words/ phrases:
some pet peeves are folks who insist that toMAHtoe i correct when the rest of us'uns is sayin' toMAYto --ditto wif' arcane words (an' usage) like PATina, when we's all sayin PaTEENa.


Fer middle school through mid-life, I'se sick of "Whatever!"

(BTW, on your link list the only one I recognize is Vixen. But...last time I was at her blog , I could not see whar' to leave a reply!!)

Ashly Star said...

Great answers! Happy TMI. =)

I *love* your new look over here. That header picture is AWESOME. =D

Ms. Inconspicuous said...

Oy, I don't think I could stand being around middle school catchphrases all day without seriously going insane. I can barely stand incidental catchphrases from cousins who are that age.

Happy TMI!

Vixen said...

God. Your bonus just reminded me of one of the most hurtful things *specifically* that my ex said to me. It was when he told me he wished we had never had our son. That he realized after my first m/c that the one thing that would make me 'better' and be able to heal from my m/c's was the one thing he wanted least of all.

*ouch*

Anyway, happyTMI :)

Honey said...

Paul B, Dana & Ms. Inconspicuous: Yes, those middle schooolers... Yikes!

Aunty Belle: Thanks for stopping by. Btw, Vixen's comments spot is at the top right of her posts. It's a little pink thought bubble.

Vixen: Ouch is right...